Skip to main content

The Septic System Landscaping Dilema



Here is a photo of the landscaping around our aerobic septic system  http://www.damnseptictank.com/ holding tanks prior to removal of landscaping. The variegated shrubs and sago palm were babies when I planted them. The red shrimp plants were frequently visited by hummingbirds and swallowtail butterflies.  I purchased the pastel pink crape myrtles from Cornelius nurseries on Dairy Ashford when I was an employee there in 96'. They were only supposed to grow 18 feet but at the time of removal they were 30 feet. Needless to say their roots were tickled pink to be on top of the septic tanks.


I had to remove the landscaping because the roots of our 70' tall gorgeous bald cypress tree had invaded the septic tanks. Whatever I chose to put in place of the previous landscaping had to have shallow roots.  So, for the first season I decided to put down some native wildflower mix I purchased from the Wildseed Farm in Fredericksburg.   http://www.wildseedfarms.com/



I also put some sunflowers along the fence line to draw the eye up and add interest.  This may seem hard to believe but the squirrels cut every one of the sunflowers from their 8 foot stems and dragged them off to the tree tops.  I don't think I would have believed it if I had not seen it myself.  Not one of those beautiful golden sunflowers made it to a vase in my home.





The wildflowers put on a good show and were beautiful all summer on into the Fall.  I still haven't decided how to cover up the existing concrete covers to the septic tanks aerobic system.  I'm still working on that. Any ideas? 

 I can now say with great authority," One should never install a new septic system within 50 feet of a Cypress tree."




Comments

Unknown said…
Ory, it was so wonderful catching up with you yesterday! I honestly could have listened to you talk about your gardening techniques for a good long time. I'm so glad I wrote down that gardening center in Houston because I definitely am going to check it out. What a fabulous day yesterday! We thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt like we had a mini vacation. I must say, however, at lunch I chatted with a sweet woman from Istanbul and it further fueled my desire to see that city/country. So good to know I have more cousins in Houston!! Have a great week!
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness

I can do all things through him who strengthens me...

Fairies In A Jar

Saw this photo on Pinterest, thought I'd share.  I remember catching fireflies in a mason jar at my grandmothers house during the summer months spent in Plaucheville, Louisiana.  What a cool activity for after sunset with the children.  I would imagine you could place the contents of the glow stick into a recycled plastic water bottle for the young ones. Photo and directions were copied from Pinterest. How To Make Fairies In A Jar This is something everyone will love you can just imagine the look on your childs face when they see this and its something they will never forget so its worth a little work on this one. FAIRIES IN A JAR DIRECTIONS: 1. Cut a glow stick and shake the contents into a jar. Add diamond glitter 2. Seal the top. perthmedias.com