Skip to main content

Giant Swallowtail Butterfly

My backyard has citrus trees, lemon satsuma and orange, originally planted there not only to provide fresh citrus for my family but also to provide a host plant for the majestic Giant Swallowtail butterfly.

Here is a photo of a Giant Swallowtail butterfly that I raised in captivity in my laundry room( in a zippered 14" x 30" columnar container covered in fine mesh), in order to protect it from predators such as wasps and birds when in the larval, caterpillar stage. Each day I misted the column with water and introduced fresh host plant material for the caterpillars to eat. The caterpillars in this photo of the mesh holding cage are the monarchs not giant. You can purchase these small insectaries from Insectlore.com or your local museum, zoo, or botanical gardens gift shops.








The beautiful butterflies dance gently on the softest breeze and light ever gently on the tips of the new growth of leaves or on the top of a young leaf to lay their eggs. When the female lights on the leaf to oviposit her egg she flutters her wings as though she were a ballerina on center stage.
Because I reared this giant swallowtail in captivity and had it in my laundry room, it emerged in december when it was cold outside. I was unable to set it free outside because the temperatures were in the 30's. I placed it in an insectary and fed it two times a day with sugar water ( 1 part sugar 4 parts water) the same recipe for a hummingbird feeder. I held it with my fingers as in photo and rolled out its proboscis with a straight needle so that it would drink the sugar water. I did this so that it would not starve as they do not always readily go to a feeding bowl. I thought you might want to see the photo my husband took of me feeding it so that you could also feed them in emergency situations while housed in an unnatural habitiat prior to release to the wild.



Here is a photo of the ventral side of the Giant Swallowtail .








The Giant swallowtails visit my garden to nectar on my Hamelia shrub in full bloom. The shrub generates enough nectar on a daily basis to feed Cloudless yellow sulphur butterflies and lots of nectaring hummingbirds as well as those beautiful giant swallowtails.
Here is a photo of a Hamelia bloom, Hamelia patens from which they feed.














I have the shrub planted near the west end of my screened in porch that way it shades the porch in the heat of the summer and allows sun to enter the porch in winter. The first freeze is usually the first sign of my needing to cut the stems of the hamelia back to about a 12 " high mound above the root zone. It will soon emerge with beautiful new growth in the early Spring in Katy, Texas.
The photos below are those of the Giant Swallowtail, Papilio cresphontes at the pupation stage and the final pupae.





















In the photo of the pupae lower left, you can clearly see the silk cord that attaches the pupae to a surface in two specific areas. I have kept the lower end of the butterfly's abdomen attached to the string but have removed the lowers silk cords that allow the pupae to hang at an angle so that you might see them clearer. This allows the butterfly's large wings to emerge at an angle so that they are not damaged and can dry efficiently. This photo also shows the details of camoflauge as it would appear naturally in nature against a wooded pupation site such as a lichen covered branch on a tree or bush.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness

I can do all things through him who strengthens me...

The Septic System Landscaping Dilema

Here is a photo of the landscaping around our aerobic septic system   http://www.damnseptictank.com/ holding tanks prior to removal of landscaping. The variegated shrubs and sago palm were babies when I planted them. The red shrimp plants were frequently visited by hummingbirds and swallowtail butterflies.  I purchased the pastel pink crape myrtles from Cornelius nurseries on Dairy Ashford when I was an employee there in 96'. They were only supposed to grow 18 feet but at the time of removal they were 30 feet. Needless to say their roots were tickled pink to be on top of the septic tanks. I had to remove the landscaping because the roots of our 70' tall gorgeous bald cypress tree had invaded the septic tanks. Whatever I chose to put in place of the previous landscaping had to have shallow roots.  So, for the first season I decided to put down some native wildflower mix I purchased from the Wildseed Farm in Fredericksburg.   http://www.wildseedfarms.com/ I also put

Fairies In A Jar

Saw this photo on Pinterest, thought I'd share.  I remember catching fireflies in a mason jar at my grandmothers house during the summer months spent in Plaucheville, Louisiana.  What a cool activity for after sunset with the children.  I would imagine you could place the contents of the glow stick into a recycled plastic water bottle for the young ones. Photo and directions were copied from Pinterest. How To Make Fairies In A Jar This is something everyone will love you can just imagine the look on your childs face when they see this and its something they will never forget so its worth a little work on this one. FAIRIES IN A JAR DIRECTIONS: 1. Cut a glow stick and shake the contents into a jar. Add diamond glitter 2. Seal the top. perthmedias.com