Skip to main content

Butterfly Garden Planning and Preparation

Here is a photo of a monarch butterfly, Danaus plexippus that I raised. Sept. 2009

Planning and site preparation are the two most essential things to do when you want to have a successful butterfly garden. You might want to consider researching information provided to you by your local Agricultural Extension Office, butterfly gardening books specific to your region, or websites devoted to gardening instruction. When you have located the website for your county Agricultural office, look up wildscapes, gardening for wildlife or butterfly gardening and read the informative brochures on line. The individuals who wrote them have experience in the planning and procedural aspects of all types of gardens. Second, be sure you are aware of your specific plant hardiness zone map; you can find one on the National Arboretum Web-site. From there, it will be easier for you to see which plants do well in your zone.
Another method of research can be easily found in your neighborhood family owned and operated garden center. These individuals are learned in what plants do well in your area and would be pleased to assist in your research and planning. They probably have mock butterfly gardens on site. Don't think that you have to have an elaborate garden for butterflies to visit your yard and entice your with their beauty and wonder. You can easily attract butterflies with a mass planting or a single plant of one particular species. You just have to know what plants those are.
When I first started butterfly gardening, I was given a milkweed plant in a one gallon pot and told that if I plant it, they will come. The following day I planted the Asclepias curassavica ( Mexican milkweed) and to my amazement a monarch butterfly arrived and drank nectar from the flowers and because it was a female, she also laid eggs on the underside of the leaves. I was hooked, and to this day I am an avid butterfly gardener and rearer of native species of butterflies. Right now, there are 23 Spicebush, Papilio troilus butterfly larvae and 9 Giant Swallowtail, Papilio cresphontes larvae munching on their specific food source and being housed in a small aquarium in my laundry room. I utilize this method so that I might protect them from predators a subject we will cover later. When they have emerged from their chrysalis, I release them into my yard.

Once you become familiar with the host plants, food for caterpillars, the nectar plants, food(nectar) for the adult butterflies to drink from the flowers with their long proboscis, you will have a better understanding of the choices you can make for your specific garden site.

Choose a site in your yard that gets lots of sun each day 6 to 8 would be a good number of sunlight hours. The nectar sources you choose need this amount of light in order to produce flowers. The site should be protected from high winds, this makes it easier for the butterflies to light on the flowers to feed and to light on the host plant leaves to lay eggs. You should consider the size of your garden and either spray paint a pattern directly onto the grass with a can of brightly colored spray paint or lay a hose or rope out in the design that you want the garden to be.
Once you have familiarized yourself with specifics, you can then begin soil preparation,planting and caring for your new wildscape. I will explain the soil and site preparation in a future post. An explanation of all of the specifics that I have a familiarity with that pertain to butterfly and wildlife gardening will be posted. I will also include specifics on the plants that grow well in Houston, Texas as well as post photo's of butterflies, larvae, plants, and rearing methods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness

I can do all things through him who strengthens me...

The Septic System Landscaping Dilema

Here is a photo of the landscaping around our aerobic septic system   http://www.damnseptictank.com/ holding tanks prior to removal of landscaping. The variegated shrubs and sago palm were babies when I planted them. The red shrimp plants were frequently visited by hummingbirds and swallowtail butterflies.  I purchased the pastel pink crape myrtles from Cornelius nurseries on Dairy Ashford when I was an employee there in 96'. They were only supposed to grow 18 feet but at the time of removal they were 30 feet. Needless to say their roots were tickled pink to be on top of the septic tanks. I had to remove the landscaping because the roots of our 70' tall gorgeous bald cypress tree had invaded the septic tanks. Whatever I chose to put in place of the previous landscaping had to have shallow roots.  So, for the first season I decided to put down some native wildflower mix I purchased from the Wildseed Farm in Fredericksburg.   http://www.wildseedfarms.com/ I also put

Fairies In A Jar

Saw this photo on Pinterest, thought I'd share.  I remember catching fireflies in a mason jar at my grandmothers house during the summer months spent in Plaucheville, Louisiana.  What a cool activity for after sunset with the children.  I would imagine you could place the contents of the glow stick into a recycled plastic water bottle for the young ones. Photo and directions were copied from Pinterest. How To Make Fairies In A Jar This is something everyone will love you can just imagine the look on your childs face when they see this and its something they will never forget so its worth a little work on this one. FAIRIES IN A JAR DIRECTIONS: 1. Cut a glow stick and shake the contents into a jar. Add diamond glitter 2. Seal the top. perthmedias.com